Thursday, May 27, 2010

Philanthropic Thursday v.1

I have an amazing job that allows me to work with charitable organizations. I get to learn more about them, while registering them with the various states in which they solicit contributions. Since I have this privilege, I felt it necessary to spotlight some of my favorite charities- clients or not.

Thus, Philanthropic Thursday was born! I will start highlighting a charity of my choice every Thursday. I will let you know the background of the charity (mission statement, programs, locations, etc.) as well as where/how/WHY to donate to this charity.

We've all seen those heart-breaking commercials set to Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" where photo after photo of adorable cats and dogs are shown, who have been affected by neglect, abuse, or abandonment are displayed. Every time I see that commercial I cry. So, justly, I decided to start out the series with my favorite charity, The Humane Society of the United States of America.


The Humane Society aims at confronting animal cruelty, neglect and exploitation through "advocating for sensible public policies, investigating cruelty and working to enforce existing laws, educating the public about animal issues, joining with corporations on behalf of animal-friendly policies, and conducting hands-on programs."

The organization is more well-known for its efforts to improve the lives of household pets (dogs, cats, etc), however, they also support wildlife and conservation efforts.

They are a nationwide organization with many chapters around the country. Most of the chapters offer services that we can all use: adoption, animal abuse reporting, and education. Since they are a not-for-profit organization, they need support from citizens like us to continue in their efforts.

The HSUS is awesome. I admire any organization that fights for the rights of animals, since they can't fight for themselves.

You can donate to this lovely organization here: Donate to the HSUS. Make a difference for a homeless dog from the Tennessee floods, a helpless sea turtle affected by the oil spill, or an adorable fox who doesn't want their fur used for some one's wardrobe.


Currently Listening To: All Time Quarterback - Empire State

Information (including photos) found via The Humane Society of the United States' website.

No comments:

Post a Comment