Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween candy-looking gifts

This craft was inspired (taken from) Martha Stewart's Halloween Crackers. I thought these would be the perfect Halloween gift to give the ladies I visit teach. The following is a step-by-step tutorial.

Here's what you'll need:
- Tissue paper (since I couldn't find crepe) and colored papers


- Scissors
- Toilet-paper rolls
- Glue stick
- Twine/ Halloween-inspired ribbon (what I used)
- Plastic spider or bat rings
- Candy or small gifts for inside the rolls

1. Following MS' instructions, I cut my tissue paper (Target) to 11" all around. Then I cut the adorable scrapbook paper I found in the Target dollar section (8 sheets for a dollar!) to a 4x7 piece.

2. Roll tissue paper around toilet paper roll, glue seems shut. MS' instructions say to have candy in the roll during this step, but mine kept falling out, which was a pain. So I'd recommend adding the candy later.

3. Take printed paper and glue around TP roll. I started at the tissue paper's seam, so that I could hide all of the seams on the same side.

4. Tie ends with twine/ ribbon. I found this skull & crossbones ribbon in the Target dollar section and LOVED it. But alas, it was cheaply made, and broke when I tried to knot it. A note to the wise: be careful, you're working with tissue paper- it will rip/tear easily & frustrate/frazzle you when it does!!
(this is the ribbon I ended up using)
5. Add spider/bat wings where the ribbon is gathered & you're done.
This craft was so easy! it took me 15 minutes to complete. Try it out! It'd be great as party favors for a Halloween party or as decoration. You could also put small gifts in the TP instead of candy. I put some Halloween socks in one of the other favors I made. I plan on making a Christmas version and using as decorations on my kitchen counter.

Linking to: Polly Want a Crafter, The Shabby Chic Cottage, House of Hepworths,Somewhat Simple and Beyond the Picket Fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment